Review questions Spring 5776 2016
1. According to Rashi what intrigue is contained in the book of shmot?
2. Does Rashi believe in “chronological integrity”?
3. Does Ramban believe in “chronological integrity”?
4. Bring 3 examples where Rashi claims stories did not take place in the order they were told?
5. Why would the story of the Golden Calf be told out of sequence?
6. According to Rashi what was the content of the “Book of the Covenant” (Shmot 24:7)?
7. According to Ramban what was the content of the “Book of the Covenant” (Shmot 24:7)?
8. According to Hizkuni what was the content of the “Book of the Covenant” (Shmot 24:7)?
9. What was strange about the choice of the Keruvim (Cherubs)?
10. Who saw the Keruvim (Cherubs) as something sordid?
11. Where is the first time in the Torah we find the Keruvim (Cherubs) how could this possibly relate to the Mishkan?
12. Parashat Tetzaveh
13. How is the commandment to light the candles in the Mishkan related to the burning bush and the western wall?
14. In what way is the is the incense related to the sin in Eden?
15. How is clothing related to sin?
16. In which narrative in the Torah is beged found?
17. In which narrative in the Torah is ktonet found? 2 examples
18. In what way is the clothing of the kohen related to sin? In terms of language? In terms of construction?
19. According to the midrash what was the origin of the prohibition of shatnez?
20. What is the verse which follows “love your neighbor as yourself “? Why?
21. What type of offering did Kayin bring? What is the significance?
22. What type of offering did Hevel bring? What is the significance?
24. What was Aharon’s strategy in terms of the people who wanted him to “make a god”? Which tactics did he use? (two examples)
25. Who did Moshe leave in charge when he ascended the mountain to receive the Torah?
26. Which four people are singled out when Moshe ascended the mountain to receive the Torah? What did each of these people represent?
27. What happened to Hur? How did this impact Aharon?
28. Who was Hur’s grandson? Why is he significant as a prototype?
29. What did the people get right and what did they “get wrong” on the day they worshipped the Golden Calf?
30. In what way is the sin of the Golden Calf related to the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil?
31. In what way is the sin of the Golden Calf related to the Red Heifer?
32. What lesson did Eliyahu teach Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai? Where was he standing? Why is this place significant?
33. When Moshe finally speaks with people what law does he start with? Why
34. Give 3 explanations.
35. According to the midrash what question does Moshe pose to God when he was instructed to build the mishkan? What is the answer?
36. Why are the laws of Shabbat derived from the Mishkan? What is the intrinsic relationship?
37. What is the paradoxical nature of creation when one takes into account an infinite creator? What is the resolution?
38. Which day and which time was the universe created? What was the moment before creation?
39. Describe the inverse relationship between God and Man and how this gives insight on Shabbat.
40. Which two of the 39 categories of work on Shabbat are “outliers”?
41. In what way is carrying on Shabbat an inferior action?
42. How are the two of the 39 categories of work on Shabbat which are “outliers” related to the Ten Commandments?
43. According to the Ramban what is the significance of the end of the book of Shmot? Which previous event shares linguistic similarities?
44. How does the Mishkan connect to the tent of Sarah?
45. What is the significance of the first day of the first month year one? Year two? What is the connection – other than the date?
46. What is the root of the Hebrew word “mitzvah”? What did the Shlah Hakadosh suggest was the real meaning?
47. In what way were the Jews “naked” in Egypt? How did God clothe them?
48. Is the end of Shmot a happy ending according to Rashi? Explain.
49. Had there never been a Golden Calf how would the book of Shmot ended according to our understanding of Rashi?
50. Describe the two sections in the Torah which deal with Amalek
51. What is the word whose meaning is unclear in Shmot regarding the battle which Amalek? What is the significance of this word?
52. Why does Amalek attack the Jews when they do and not many years before?
53. Why did Esav have no moral argument against Yakov in the sale of the birthright? What negative lesson could nonetheless have been learned?
54. What phrase was unclear in Parshat Zachor (in Dvarim)?
55. What section precedes the section of the battle with Amalek? How is that significant? (Shmot)
56. What section precedes the Parshat Zachor (in Dvarim)? How is that significant?
57. What happened on the Eighth Day?
58. What makes the Eighth Day unusual in the book of Vayikra?
59. What makes the Eighth Day unique in the book of Vayikra?
60. What offering did Aharon bring on the Eighth day as a sin offering? Why
61. What offering did the community of Israel bring on the Eighth day as a sin offering? Why
62. What offering did Aharon bring on the Eighth day as a burnt offering? Why
63. What did the Akaida (binding) have in common with the Eighth day?
64. Why was it theologically impossible for the initial instruction regarding the Akaida to result in an offering?
65. What was the ultimate lesson we learned from the Akaida process?
66. What happened when Aharon followed all the instructions on the eighth day and blessed the people? Who noticed?
67. Who was rewarded on the eighth day? Why? How may this have emboldened and encouraged Nadav and Avihu?
68. What did Nadav and Avihu do?
69. Why did Nadav and Avihu specifically bring incense? What sin may they have been trying to repair? Explain
70. Is it possible that Nadav and Avihu saw their action as a success? Explain.
71. What is the definition of “tumah”?
72. Which type of tumah is considered most severe?
73. Why would a woman bring a “sin offering” after giving birth?
74. What did the students ask Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai regarding the new mother? What was his answer?
75. Why would one consider issues of death after a birth? explain
76. What was the sin offering of the new mother? What does this teach? Who else brings the same sin offering? What did we learn from this comparison?
77. What is Shemita?
78. What is Yovel?
79. On which day was the Shofar blown on the Yoval? Why is this strange?
80. In what sense are Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana the same?
81. Why does the Vilna Gaon think the blessing the moon after Rosh Hashanah before Yom Kippur, will help the equation for the previous year?
82. What did the Ramban consider to be one of the great secrets of the Torah?
83. Would scientists’ argument against creationists sway the Ramban? What would the Ramban say?
84. In what way are shemita and yovel connected to creation?
85. What links infidelity and “misappropriations” from the Mishkan?
86. In what way are the second and seventh commandments related?
87. In what way did Moshe’s behavior after the Golden Calf relate to sotah?
88. Which linguistic connection is there which links the sin of the Golden Calf relate and sotah?
89. Where is afar עפר used first in the Torah?
90. How does the commentary of the Targum Yonatan link man’s composition and the Sotah rite?