Review questions Spring 5776 2016
1. Describe the underlying philosophy of theology of the “Right to Life” movement?
2. Describe the underlying philosophy of theology of the “Pro Choice” movement?
3. Is Judaism inherently closer to the “Right to Life” movement or the “Pro Choice” movement?
4. Why is Abortion complicated in Jewish Law?
5. In what case (or cases) did the Mishna discuss abortion?
6. How did the Talmud use the question of a newborn in the discussion of a Rodef? How did the Rambam apply this discussion?
7. From the discussion in the Mishna can we discern at which point life begins? (Rashi)
8. What did the Havat Yair say regarding a possible prohibition of abortion? Who disagreed with him?
9. What did Rabbi Yakov Emden suggest could be a possible source for allowing abortions? Who disagreed? What would be the reason for the disagreement? Do you think Rabbi Yakov Emden’s argument is sound?
10. How did the Rambam interpret the Mishna? What did he add? (Regarding abortion)
11. Did the Rambam think abortion is murder? Or “like” murder? Would it make a difference? What did Rav Unterman say?
12. Can an inanimate object be a rodef? Like a rodef? Explain
13. What did the Mishna say about a pregnant woman who is to be put to death? What did the Gemara add?
14. What was the case of the Maharit regarding abortion?
15. What was the question posed to the Ben Ish Hai (Kinyan Torah) regarding abortion? What was strange about his answer? Was there a possible “meta halakhic” consideration?
16. What question was posed to Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach regarding abortion? What did he answer? What was surprising about his (second) answer?
17. Describe the case of the conjoined twins. What was the complication? What were the possible solutions? Is this a legal moral or religious issue? explain
18. What was Rav Moshe Feinstein’s solution in the case of the conjoined twins? What was it based on?
19. What is the irony of Rav Moshe Feinstein’s solution in the case of the conjoined twins?
20. Is the attitude of Judaism toward Amalek an example of racism? Explain
21. Can a member of Amalek convert? Bring proof
22. Can a member of Amalek become a “Noahide”? Bring proof
23. What does the Rambam say about the “7 nations”? What is his source?
24. What was strange about the comparison of the Rambam’s treatment of the “7 nations” versus his treatment of Amalek? What does Rav Chaim conclude from this?
25. What complication does the Talmud add to the biography of Esther?
26. What was the case of the Shvut Yakov?
27. What was the case of the Maharik?
28. What was the argument of the Maharik? How did the Shvut Yakov use this argument?
29. What was the objection of the Noda Beyehuda regarding the case of the Shvut Yakov? What mitigating arguments does the Noda Beyhuda muster to defend Esther?
30. What was the question posed to the Binyan Zion? (Rabbi Etlinger) What was the answer that he wished to give? Which condition did he attach to his answer? Was this case the same of different from Esther? explain
31. What is a “legal fiction”? Give an example in secular (American/Canadian) Law.
32. Is selling the Land of Israel during the sabbatical year a “legal fiction”?
33. What factors would contribute toward a lenient perspective regarding selling the Land of Israel during the sabbatical year?
34. Does “Pruzbol” contravene a Torah law or rabbinc law? Explain
35. Does “Pruzbol” support a Torah law or rabbinc law? Explain
36. Is the “Otzar Beit Din” supported by Talmudic literature? Explain
37. How was the “Otzar Beit Din” described in antiquity?
38. How was the “Otzar Beit Din” arranged in modern times?
39. Is selling Chametz a “legal fiction”?
40. What is the first source that mentions selling chametz? Does it say it can be repurchased?
41. How does the sale of Chametz work according to Rav Moshe Feinstein?
42. How does the sale of Chametz work according to the Noda Beyehuda?
43. In which case would Rav Moshe Feinstein be strict with regards to the sale of chametz? Lenient?
44. In which case would the Noda Beyehuda be strict with regards to the sale of chametz? Lenient?
45. What is an onan?
46. What is an avel?
47. Jewish law discusses haircuts for mourners – does it discuss shaving? Explain?
48. Jewish Law discusses bathing for mourners – does it discuss showers? Explain?
49. Is the International Date Line a “real thing”? explain
50. Does the Torah/Halacha recognize the International Date Line”? explain
51. How was the date line a factor for Jews in World War 2?
52. What is the fundamental obligations in terms of honoring parents?
53. What are fundamental issues in terms of “fearing” parents?
54. Why did Rav Assi leave his mother? How did the Rambam use the story? What qualifications did the Rambam add?
55. If a parent is abusive due they forfeit the privileges of being a parent? Is there a universal answer to this question? Explain.
56. Can one invites someone to come over Friday night if they will drive?
57. What is the case of the daughter who was kidnapped? What did the Rama rule? How is this applicable to inviting people who may drive on Shabbat?
58. What are the 2 types of “placing a stumbling block before the blind?
59. What did Rav Moshe Feinstein rule about encouraging people who may drive to shul on Shabbat?
60. What did Rav Moshe Sternbuch rule about encouraging people who may drive on Shabbat?